Sunday, April 1, 2007

Why build discussion forum if we want to destroy it”….

Hi blogger/reader,
The rugby fever got me this weekend…as Fiji team was taking part in the Hong Kong Sevens competition……did some readings on the Ergonomics issues in education. I also managed to post my comments in the EDU5471 Course Environment regarding Ergonomics at my work place and also what is available to the students at the university I work at.

Currently, I am working out the proposal regarding ergonomic issues of staff at my work place as part of Activity 2.4…..I have also been diverting my attentions towards the completion of assignment 1. Started reading on online discussions and discussion forums which can help me to write a report on the significant contribution to the course discussion forum.

Iam a bit disappointed about the fact that the external discussion forum I was involved in (ie.elearnenable) has become “dead” suddenly…..This forum was made up by my fellow colleagues of the EDU5471 course and sad to say that they are not contributing to the discussion at or maybe I am being a bit vindicated. The assignment 1 requirement was to submit contributions to the external discussion forum from week 1 to week 5……but it seems like students or members of the elearnenable just posted discussions fro assessment purposes….that simply defeats the purpose of the discussion forums and the discussion itself becomes useless. It should be seen as an on-going process of knowledge sharing.

Apparently, I had found the same thing in USQ knowledgegarden (kg) where previous semester students have been quite actively involved in the discussion forums during the course of their study but after that the discussion forum seems to be “dead”………

After these experiences I wonder “why build discussion forum if we want to destroy it”….

Well….i hope some one can answer my wonders….perhaps its best left unanswered.

Aiidous,
Javed

2 comments:

Jane in Java said...

Hey Javed, I had a similar reaction to learnenable as you did. I also was never able to activate my account although I tried and tried. I stopped posting because I found that only one person would reply - or sometimes not reply but just add another comment. I also joined QSITE and the forums were all dead - all the ones that I saw anyhow. My only experience was on the Online Curriculum Centre for the IBO. You have to be a member school. Even so it was pretty inactive too. So much for discussion forums outside USQ WebCT!

Reggie said...

Hi Javed and Jane,

I'm sorry I haven't been as active posting as I should have been and I'm honestly not doing it now for assessment - it's just been a ridiculously hectic month so far, though having read your blog Javed, I now feel like I've just been sitting back!
I think the elearnenable thing is great and seems to be coming back online again now, please give it another shot! I'm going to try and be more active from now on - have to organise my time a bit better is all.
Hope to see you in there
Reggie